Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Tracy's (and TJ's) Birthday!

April 13, 2006

Today we celebrated two birthdays, 221 years apart....mine and Thomas Jefferson's. Yes, good old TJ and I share the day. We decided to travel to Charlottesville, Virginia to Thomas Jefferson's home, Monticello. I had not been there since I was a youngster, and Chris and the kids had never been. Our neighbors, Jonathan and Jennifer Davis and their kids, Zach and Beth, caravanned down with us.

We arrived in time to see the wreath laying ceremony at his grave. Jefferson's descendants, representatives from the White House and dignitaries from around the state were there and brought wreaths for the occasion and the Army's 3rd Infantry Fife and Drum Corps provided the music. A University of Virginia professor, Daniel Meador, was the keynote speaker. He gave an enlightening and insightful talk that taught us some things we would not have learned had we not been there, most interestingly the fact that TJ did not like to celebrate his birthday. The day he wanted his life and accomplishments to be celebrated was July 4th, the anniversary of the signing of the Declaration of Independence.

After the ceremony, we walked up and toured Monticello. It is such a lovely structure and the mountain top setting, especially in spring, was breathtaking. The red buds were just blooming and the gardens were full of many different varieties of tulips. I left there wishing I not only shared a birthday with such a great mind, but actually shared some of his intellect. :-)

We lunched in a Charlottesville Panera and then found a winery a friend had told us about. We dutifully followed our GPS directions, and wound down several narrow roads, but finally found White Hall Vineyards. We were the only ones there, and were able to sample several of their wines. We walked away with 6 bottles..one of which was their dessert red; I can't wait to drink that with some Belgian chocolates.

All in all, this was a very enjoyable birthday. The day was perfect.



At Thomas Jefferson's gravesite.


The Army's 3rd Infantry Fife and Drum Corps.


In back of Monticello.


Looking toward UVA from the back of Monticello.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jefferson was way ahead of his time, as were many of our founding fathers. It makes you realize how lucky we were to have leaders with foresight who weren't just in it for the power. I wonder what Jefferson and the crew would think of modern day politicians and the state of our country.