Saturday morning, we drove to Heidelberg, Germany. We had heard lots about this great city, and all tales were accurate. We could have eaten our way down the walkplatz...so many places to choose from! Anyway, Ed and Shelly are familiar with our eternal quest for great Mexican food, so we ate lunch almost immediately after arriving at Gino's Viva Mexico, which shares space with Viva Italia, an Italian place. The weather was absolutely glorious, so we ate outside. We drank their 'Regan-made-famous' macchiato coffees and ate tacos. YUMMY!!! Sean wasn't full after the feast, so he went to the Italian side and ordered an individual sized pizza. After lunch, Will and I stopped at a frites stand. Now I know to order them without catsup...they were drowning in it. Once I dug through the saturated fries, the plain ones were super. Or, I suppose I could order them like they do in The Netherlands, with a huge dollop of mayo! (Don't think so!)

A shop with a name that made us think of home

Looking down the walkplatz

A flower vendor...there are many and all their wares are so beautiful!
The kids and Chris stopped off in the Gummy store and I went into the Kathy Wolfhart gift store before we walked up to the castle. I can honestly say that I had serious doubts that anyone could effectively storm that castle after the trek up to it. Even the most seasoned climber would have to agree, I think, that it was just about straight up the whole way!

The castle high above the city of Heidelberg

Sean and Will in one of the town squares

Looking down at Heidelberg

One of the tower ruins

No, nothing smells bad....just squinting while listening to the audio tour

The Ballard family with Schloss Heidelberg in the background
Being new to Europe and total tourist geeks, we rented the audio tour handsets and set to touring the castle. Ed and Shelly had been to the castle many times, and patiently waited for us in the gardens. Unfortunately, Madison had other plans. By the time we were done, Madison had her fill of waiting. We walked down and stopped to eat (again) at the Beer and Brezel. Chris had been talking about treating himself to a rattler all day, so made good on that promise! The kids and I ordered several litres of water to go with our dinner. I sipped Chris' rattler, and agree that it was very good. I never would have thought that beer and lemonade could make a tasty combination.
Sunday, we slept in a bit and then drove to the Commissary and PX Ed and Shelly use. They are huge compared to ours, and stock quite a few more items that we have here. I stocked up on a few dry items and bought Sean new jeans at the PX. We had to hit the post Taco Bell before hitting the road, as there are none here near us. Driving home was smoother and quicker than the drive there and we all got to use our first pay potty at a rest stop on the Autobahn.
1 comment:
Tracy! You can't live there and not eat Pommes mit Mayo! (fries with mayo) You are totally missing out if you don't try it. Just say Nien Catsup Mit Mayo Bitte. I promise it is delicious. I am so jealous! The Heidelberg Castle is one of my favorites. We have many of the same family pictures that you guys took with scenery in the background. Next time park up by the castle and you don't have the long walk up. Make sure you get to the Neuschweinstein (sp?) Castle before you leave there. We love reading your blog, keep it up! Your house is beautiful! Who are the dogs in the picture with you guys besides your dog?
Post a Comment